Sunday, August 7, 2011

Bindweed

This song was written out of two colliding stories in my life. One was the emotional rape of my partner by the woman who had dated my partner's father for a year before he suddenly died, then sued her and her sister for their inheritance. The subsequent breakdown of her family relationships, her ability to trust people, her ability to handle even small stressful events has just made me even more angry at this evil person. I finally had to find some way to deal with the pain of watching what one woman did to three other women, so this song started.

The other story was one in which I feared that a new female friend of some married friends (who we'll call Bob and Jane) was infatuated with Bob. I can't tell if Bob knew or not. I know that Jane could tell but stuffed it down inside her. The lack of communication and trust between Jane and Bob about this new friend worried me, but as there was no proof and no reason to interfere in their lives, I kept silent and turned my concern into a song that I hope can help others.

Bindweed


From a distance, you look like a morning glory

But I know.

You creep, you climb like an ivy

But I know

I know your name.


chorus

Bindweed: just tryin’ to get by, stealing sun from another woman’s sky

Bindweed: again and again, windin' up somebody else’s stem

oh, Bindweed: get back! you can’t go looting for something you lack

Bind weed, I said, I don’t allow weeds in my or my friends’ beds.


I’d choose a wildflower over a rose any day

but you’re a weed

somewhere along the way, you gave up your sanctity.

now you’re just a weed

And I know your name...


chorus


You thought you could do the math, you thought one and one was two

you thought you could substitute, but we all know, don’t we now.

You thought Love was just a word [you could use] to get your 5th ring

[but we all] we all know the truth: he never loved, he never loved you, oooh


(chorus)



Epilogue:

Was it worth it?

I know the Universal Math.

Was it worth it?

And I know the rule of Three's.

Was it worth it?

And I know you'll end up dried up on the side walk

all alone

and you'll ask yourself,

"Was it worth it?"

1 comment:

  1. I vote for this song to be the first one to be worked on. My reasoning is because I feel a lot of people feel this way often. I just conversed with a woman whose husband went through a similar process of interacting with a bindweed-woman who was his father's common law wife. This woman got rid of the will and anything of personal value to this man, and his wife and he had to fight for the remaining estate. It is chilling to know so many people have bindweeds in their lives, and to know that you are not alone in the grief of this process is very healing. So that's why I vote yes to this one.

    ReplyDelete